Nuclera is a next-generation DNA synthesis company creating solutions for the synthetic biology, enzyme engineering, and pharmaceutical industries. Our enzyme-mediated DNA synthesis platform will enable the rapid and cost-effective production of highly accurate, ultra-long DNA products. We are building a benchtop synthesis instrument capable of making long-length variant DNA and genome libraries for protein, biological pathway, and ultimately genome-scale engineering.
The Applied Physicist will join the instrumentation department at Nuclera, interfacing with experts in chemistry, biochemistry and engineering to develop a new device to revolutionize and democratize the field of DNA synthesis. There is an immediate need for someone to explore the interactions between electrical and magnetic fields and our components on proprietary surfaces. Future work may involve fluid dynamic simulations using, e.g. finite-element software, modelling complex fields and forces, etc.
This is a great opportunity to join a rapidly growing R&D team and to contribute to fundamental research into how our processes work.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Investigating interactions on the micron scale using a sophisticated commercial modelling package
- Designing improved devices to manipulate particles and fluids using various electromagnetic forces
- Working with microfluidic engineers to develop Nuclera's benchtop DNA synthesis device
- A PhD in physics, mechanical engineering or a similar field or the equivalent experience
- Modelling experience with ANSYS, COMSOL, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to design, conduct and analyse practical experiments
Desirable qualifications and skills
- Liquid-handling and microfluidics background
- Magnetic or electrical field modelling work
- At least basic code-writing skills would be a plus
- The ability and desire to work alongside life scientists and engineers in a team
- Ability to be creative and work independently when required
- Strong communication skills and a collaborative mentality
- Attention to detail and good manual dexterity