Nuclera is a next-generation DNA synthesis company creating solutions for the synthetic biology, enzyme engineering, and pharmaceutical industries. Our enzyme-mediated DNA synthesis platform will enable the rapid and cost-effective production of highly accurate, ultra-long DNA products. We are building a benchtop synthesis instrument capable of making long-length variant DNA and genome libraries for protein, biological pathway, and ultimately genome-scale engineering.
The Software Engineer will join the instrumentation department at Nuclera, interfacing with experts in chemistry, biochemistry and engineering to develop a new device to revolutionize and democratize the field of DNA synthesis. The successful candidate will develop the software needed to control our instrument and to interpret the data coming from its various components. The incumbent will need to work closely with an external partner developing one of the critical subsystems.
This is a great opportunity to join a rapidly growing R&D team and expand one’s skills from standard code writing to instrumentation control in a commercial environment.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Becoming familiar with the low-level hardware interfaces for various electronic and microfluidic components of a sophisticated breadboard system
- Designing the software systems to control that breadboard (and subsequent commercial) instrument
- Managing the design and development of the GUIs for both experimental and commercial versions
- Writing data analysis algorithms to interpret signals from the instrument and the software required to present that data in an easily readable form
- Working with microfluidic engineers to develop Nuclera's benchtop DNA synthesis device
- A graduate degree in electronics, computer science, automation, etc.
- At least 2 years’ direct experience with controlling scientific instruments and electronic components
- Hands-on skills to create, build and test one’s designs.
Desirable qualifications and skills
- Any liquid-handling or microfluidics background
- Some theoretical and practical knowledge of biology, especially molecular biology
- The ability and desire to work alongside life scientists and other engineers in a team
Ability to be creative and work independently
- Strong communication skills and a collaborative mentality
- Attention to detail